Re: DESTDIR=full?

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:14:21PM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
> This is how I see it and I expect DESTDIR=full means FULLY unprivilegged
> building. But this doesn't work because real-package-install target
> uses su-real-package-install which in turn tries to use SU_CMD.

Sure, the building itself is fully unprivileged. But how could it
*install* the package without being root? So it builds the package and
installs it via pkg_add as root, otherwise it couldn't write to
/usr/pkg...

> It is ok if not all things are implemented yet (what exactly things
> are missed).  But what PKG_DESTDIR_SUPPORT variable is for?  Why
> should it be settable from package's Makefile?  The approach described
> above (METALOG) doesn't need anything like this.

(a) METALOG is not portable as most install programs don't have the
backend.
(b) You would have to change all programs to not use cp, pax and random
other tools for installing. Installation would also fail for anything
doing direct system calls (e.g. from python interpreters).

Joerg