Re: Multiple/Split Master Sites?

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 08:25:14PM -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > Or is lang/sbcl-boot simply a fetch binary and install it thing that
> > doesn't actually build anything?
>
> Yes.
>
> >  In that case it seems like a lot of overkill for what needs to be done.
>
> I don't know sbcl. I don't know sbcl-boot.
>
> I was imagining a sbcl-bin package (like we have many -bin packages
> already).
>
> The end-user could choose to install the sbcl-bin package and use it
> as-is.
>
> Someone will have to make that sbcl-bin binary available. Maybe already
> available as linux_compat or other?

FWIW, this is how wip/jdk14 and wip/jdk15 (Java built from source) work.
They depend on lang/sun-jdk14 ant lang/sun-jdk15 (their Linux-binary
equivalents) respectively, but only for building.  Once you have built your
own Java binaries, you can use those (and remove the linux binaries) for
later rebuilds, although you have to modify the package Makefile for that.

        Geert