Re: ultimate goal of DESTDIR support?

Malcolm Herbert wrote:
On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 11:42:51PM +0100, Klaus Heinz wrote:
|Late in 2006 Joerg Sonnenberger added support for installation to a
|directory DESTDIR: copy files as non-root user to temporary directory
|DESTDIR, create binary package from those files and use pkg_add to add
|the package to the live system.
|
|Although I do not remember seeing this explicitly said anywhere, I
|always had the impression that the intent of DESTDIR support was to get
|away from the current (traditional) method, ie some day in the future
|pkgsrc would use DESTDIR installations by default.
|
|Is this impression correct? Or is "DESTDIR" installation just a
|nice-to-have feature and takes second place in importance to the
|traditional method?

Personally I'd love to be able to create a package in a seperate area
and not be required to install in order to package it ... that would
make upgrading much much cleaner - you could then decide to commit to
replacing packages iff the packages were built properly instead of
winding up with a broken system half-way through if it failed.

Unless I'm misunderstanding -- or underestimating -- the DESTDIR installation method, it currently does not solve the problem you describe because pkgsrc still requires any dependencies used during the build to be installed into your ${LOCALBASE}. This means that, for example, that you cannot build an entirely new set of Courier-MTA packages without uninstalling some of the current ones.

If you really need to do that, you should already be using either pkgsrc/mk/bulk/mksandbox or pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_comp to do all of your builds within a chroot, and in that case, it doesn't really matter whether or not you're installing to a DESTDIR or installing directly into "/usr/pkg" within the chroot.

        Cheers,

        -- Johnny C. Lam