Re: ultimate goal of DESTDIR support?

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 10:03:14AM +1100, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
|Personally I'd love to be able to create a package in a seperate area
|and not be required to install in order to package it ... that would
|make upgrading much much cleaner - you could then decide to commit to
|replacing packages iff the packages were built properly instead of
|winding up with a broken system half-way through if it failed.
|
|The bulk build area helps, but it's not a fix for the problem by
|building everything in a sandbox ...

Thinking about this further: using DESTDIR exclusively would greatly
benefit building packages for other package managers as then pkgsrc
package building wouldn't be treading on the toes of the package
manager during the process ...

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch%mjch.net@localhost                                                left