Re: patch filenames

On May 28,  7:26pm, Roland Illig wrote:
}
} I'd like to change the filenames of patch files, since the naming scheme
} patch-[a-z][a-z] doesn't give me enough expressiveness for efficient work.
}
} We already had a discussion about this topic in June and July 2004:
}
}      http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2004/06/
}      http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2004/07/
}          ([change request] pattern for patch filenames)
}
} The discussion revealed that there are some different opinions of how
} patch files should be named, but arguments for a specific scheme were
} rare, and suddently the discussion ended. We had these suggestions:
}
} 1. Keep everything as is (patch-[a-z][a-z], one patched file per patch):
}
} [pro] simple, easy, and it works.
} [pro] short filenames, viewable even on small screens.
} [pro] the order in which the patches are applied doesn't matter.
} [con] CVS history contains comments on many unrelated patches.
}
} 2. Filename based on the patched file, one patched file per patch:
}
} [pro] patch filename shows which file is patched.
} [pro] the order in which the patches are applied doesn't matter.
} [pro] CVS history contains only changes to this particular file.

     This would only be true if you committed each patch individually,
i.e.  it isn't attribute of the naming scheme.

} [con] the name of the patched file occurs three times: in the filename,
} in the "---" line, in the "+++" line (redundancy).
} [con] there's a naming scheme to be learnt
}
} 3. Group functional changes into one patch file:
}
} [pro] the patch can be easily removed once the problem has been fixed
} upstream.
} [con] a file may be patched by multiple patches. The order in which the
} patches are applied becomes important.
}
}
}
} I'd like to establish variant 2. (I don't want to displace variant 1, I
} just want to be allowed to use variant 2 for packages I maintain.) Other
} opinions?

     11.3.2 says:

The file names of the patch files are usually of the form patch-[a-z][a-z].

Note that it doesn't say that the file names MUST be of that form.  I'm
not aware of anything that specifically forbids you from using a
different nameing scheme.

}-- End of excerpt from Roland Illig