Subject: Re: want to use builtin perl on a non-NetBSD deployment of pkgsrc
To: George Michaelson <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/07/2005 21:55:17
On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, George Michaelson wrote:

> Is there a simple way to use the builtin/base perl but use pkgsrc
> otherwise?
> I'm guessing that because there is no lang/perl5/ the answer
> is NO.
> I believe that a shell of a pkg which satisfies the pkg_info state, but
> has symlinks back to the /usr/lib/perl5/... will probably work. Before
> I do anything that disgustingly hackish, I thought I'd ask what others
> do.

There is not any pkgsrc way at this time. Creating a dummy perl package
and symlinks may work, but depends on what you all use. Also, it will get
messy when you install a package that depends on various perl module

The best idea is to just let pkgsrc provide perl.

Please see
  (and the "pkg_install/libnbcompat on OpenBSD" thread on tech-pkg in
  September 2003)

Good luck,

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links