Subject: qmail package overhauled
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org, netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/21/2004 23:48:26
I've made significant changes to the qmail package to make it much
easier to install and use on NetBSD. A summary of the salient changes:

* follows hier(7) (yet /var/qmail paths still work too)
* creates all the basic config files needed to run
* includes greatly improved rc.d scripts
* conforms better to "Life with qmail"
* integrates nicely into a NetBSD system
* no longer applies any patches to the qmail source

The complete list of changes:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2004/07/21/0034.html

A near-identical package that incorporates the netqmail patches has
been imported as pkgsrc/mail/netqmail:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2004/07/21/0038.html

I'm especially interested to hear from those of you who use qmail but
have opted not to use the package. Please try the latest, either qmail
or netqmail, and let me know what you think.

- Amitai

P.S. To whet your appetite, here's what you'll see when the install
completes:

===
$NetBSD: MESSAGE,v 1.8 2004/07/21 22:35:59 schmonz Exp $

To activate qmail for local and outgoing deliveries:
- Check the configuration files in /etc/qmail.
- Modify /etc/mailer.conf (see
/usr/pkg/share/examples/qmail/mailer.conf).
- Set qmailsend=YES in /etc/rc.conf.

To enable SMTP:
- Set qmailsmtpd=YES in /etc/rc.conf.

To enable POP3 (only for Maildirs):
- Set qmailpop3d=YES in /etc/rc.conf.

To allow local non-root users to see the queue:
- Set qmailqread=YES in /etc/rc.conf.
- Change the mailq entry in /etc/mailer.conf to qmail-qread-client.

Alternatively, you can manage the qmail daemons with daemontools
by creating appropriate run scripts in /service. There are many
ways to do this; you may find the qmail-conf package helpful.

===