Subject: Re: postgresql74 -> postgresql ?
To: grant beattie <>
From: Marc Recht <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/07/2004 10:58:43
> is there any objection to renaming postgresql -> postgresql73 and
> postgresql74 -> postgresql?

Yes, I object.

Please see the thread starting here:

Especially my answer here:

> it makes more sense (at least to me) that the latest stable version
> is available in dir/ and older/unstable in dir<blah>/ (that goes for
> everything in pkgsrc, not just postgresql).

I'd like to implement the mechanism discussed in the thread above. To
finally allow having more than one PostgreSQL version installed - which is
crucial for database updates. Because of that I'd like to go for:
postgresql (or postgresql-lib) and postgresql73*, postgresql74*.
I hope to finally find time this weekend to post patches for discussion.