Subject: Re: Package Naming for Multiple Versions
To: Curt Sampson <>
From: Marc Recht <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/09/2004 00:41:16

> Can someone explain to me our package naming conventions when we have
> multiple versions? If there's no version number on the package, when
> is it the latest version and when is it an older version? For example,
> why is the "postgresql" package the obselete 7.3 version, and
> "postgresql74" the current version?

The PostgreSQL case is a bit different and there was a long discussion
on tech-pkg@ about it. Re-importing PostgreSQL 7.3 as postgresql73-* and
updating postgresql-* to 7.4 would have implied that eg. a pkg_chk -u
would update to 7.4 with no real update path. And dumping & restoring
your database(s) while doing make update is IMHO also no option.
FWIW, I'd like to change the PostgreSQL to always install into
${PREFIX}/postgsql{73,74,..} to allow multiple installations of
PostgreSQL. I just had not much time lately to work on this (a bit
more), but I hope that I've some time after the freeze.

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (NetBSD)