Subject: Re: packages outside of /usr/pkg (was: Re: PROPOSAL: Move /usr/pkg/etc to /etc/pkg)
To: None <>
From: Julio Merino <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/22/2002 22:33:21

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 02:37:25PM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> Re.
> Yes, I meant to mention, e.g., tetex's installation of fonts in /var as
> something that irks me.  Fortunately, my / partition has much more space
> than it requires, so I can afford 20MB or so for tetex's texfonts dirs.
> But given NetBSD's tendancy towards a small / partition, I think that
> using /var as a dumping ground for tons of font data is a bad idea for a
> package.  (Regardless of organizational issues of whether package
> configuration/management data should be kept in /usr/pkg.)

Well, you have started the same thing I wanted to post ;)

I have commented this same thing today in irc. Somebody told me that it is
*not* a good idea to install things under /usr/pkg/var. He said that they
should go to /var (maybe /var/pkg), togheter with all other stuff. Although,
I'm not sure if this is ok.

> Other than /var/run/ files (small, transient files), I am not aware of any
> packages using /var/ files as their private databases, however.  (I don't
> really care about /var/run/ files one way or the other, personally.  I
> suspect that people would violently object if packages had those moved.)
> What /var/ files did you have in mind?

Looking at my /var directory, I've seen rpm using /var/pkg/lib/rpm as its
database directory; there is also an empty gnome directory. Although,
scrollkeeper uses /usr/pkg/var/lib. Things are not homogenous, and I do not
like it.

Maybe the right thing should be to do it like configuration files? That is
have a PKG_VARDIR variable or something so any user is able to configure it
as he wants.

Of course it runs NetBSD -
HispaBSD member -
Julio Merino <>