Subject: Re: Ease of Downloading Packages
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/23/2001 10:34:04
On Sun, 23 Dec 2001, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2001, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>
> > Oh, and finding "the latest" via ftp:// is one thing (and supported in
> > NetBSD!), http:// is something very different as it involves parsing HTML
> > output in various httpd's format. Not fun! (Left as an exercise... :-)
>
> No it doesn't. It involves the script running on the web server
> making the appropriate choices, based on much more recent knowledge
> than the pkg_add program has.

What about having an INDEX file on the web server, like FreeBSD does?
Being able to access the binary packages directly would be a big plus to
me; ever since I switched to PPPoE, I haven't been able to access
ftp.netbsd.org from behind my NAT (someone really should fix that).

Of course, if there was an INDEX file somewhere on the web or ftp server,
I could always bounce through squid :D

Jared