Subject: Re: Ease of Downloading Packages
To:, Curt Sampson <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/22/2001 17:26:24
On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Curt Sampson wrote:
> Actually, I think that it's pretty darn easy
> already; the only painful part is remembering the url
> (<>) and knowing
> what the package version number is (pine-4.33.tgz).
> But what if, instead of typing
>     pkg_add
> I could just type
>     pkg_add
> and it would give me the latest version?

Do this:

	setenv PKG_PATH
	pkg_add -v pine

> and then we'd just need a script on that URL that would look up the latest
> version of the pine package for that version of NetBSD and architecure
> and issue an appropriate redirect, looking like this:

"the latest" is not enough. For the case of dependencies, it must be "the
latest matching the dependency", which may be different.

Oh, and finding "the latest" via ftp:// is one thing (and supported in
NetBSD!), http:// is something very different as it involves parsing HTML
output in various httpd's format. Not fun! (Left as an exercise... :-)

It seems some education on how our pkg system actually works seems needed
here. Please start by reading

 - Hubert

* Basics ->
* Setup  ->