Subject: Re: When DEPENDS can be upgraded in place
To: David Brownlee <>
From: Tim Rightnour <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/08/2000 07:52:54
On 08-Sep-00 David Brownlee wrote:
>        We have two dependencies - the existing build dependencies, and
>         the 'binary' set.
>         eg: build may be lib>=1.1, and if you build against 1.1 then
>         then binary dependencies are lib>=1.1. But if you build against
>         1.2 then binary dependencies should be lib>=1.2

I think the real solution is to allow multiple versions of pkgs containing
libraries to coexist in some manner..  Ie..lets say I install jpeg...

I get binaries.. like cjpeg.. and I get  so when I "upgrade"
it whacks the binaries, replaces them.. and installs the new library.  then it
moves the PLIST stuff for the library over to the new jpeg pkg.. so the in-db
copy of the jpeg plist now reads something like:

Then old binaries relying on just continue to work.  Or is this
no longer workable in ELF?

Tim Rightnour <>
NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS
NetBSD Mailing lists on the web: