Subject: Re: share vs. share/games (vs. /var/games)
To: Simon Burge <>
From: Tim Rightnour <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/09/2000 01:52:32
On 09-Feb-00 Simon Burge wrote:
>  + ${PREFIX}/share/games/$game was more in line with hier(7) and won't
>    clutter up ${PREFIX}/share any more than it is now.

I disagree here.  Games should be treated no differently from any other
package.  It should all just go in share.
> I like the separation of having ${PREFIX}/games for game binaries - we
> already have {bin,libexec,sbin}.  Is this too much of a change to make?
> As for the three packages that currently use ${PREFIX}/share/games, I
> wrote one, built the package for another and don't know where the third
> came from :-)

Putting games in ${PREFIX}/games is really annoying..  now people have to muck
with thier path and whatnot to play them.. thats not nice.

Tim Rightnour <>
NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS
NetBSD Mailing lists on the web: