Subject: pkg_add nuked my system and I'm going nuts
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Anders \"ali\" Lindgren <ali@h543.sparta.lu.se>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/07/1998 21:44:19
I just tried to install emacs-20.2 (binary pkg for port-amiga)
using pkg_add and the URL to the archive (on netbsd.org), and when
/var/tmp was full (obviously I should have tried to make pkg_add extract
to a  place outside my root partition but I didn't think about it at
the time.. :/ ). This was done as root (packages still require me
to be root to install properly if I'm correct(?)).

When the "write: file system full" started coming I tried to
interrupt the pkg_add with ^C, which didn't work well.
It did interrupt the extraction and started doing something that
caused a lot of disk activity (presumably cleaning up in /var/tmp)
  When not much happened I stopped it with ^Z (which did suspend it)
and tried to see what was going on (when I though the assumed
cleaning up was starting to take its time).

What pkg_add was doing was this (as root):

rm -rf /

Now I have to reinstall the entire setup. I can no longer boot.

I have no clue why pkg_add would do something as wacky as that,
but I consider this a serious bug. I'm tired. Good night. ;-(

--
/ali: Computer Science Major and aspiring cartoonist. :-)
(dept) dat94ali@ludat.lth.se - http:// www.ludat.lth.se/~dat94ali