tech-perform archive

Re: WAPL/RAIDframe performance problems

> What is more likely to cause grief is 512 byte writes - since modern
> disks have 4k physical sectors.
My impression is that my discs do have 512 byte sectors. At least the SCSI
documentation says they can be formatted with 512, 520 or 528 byte sectors.

Even if they did, in fact, have 4k sectors, everything would be aligned in my
set-up, wouldn't it?

> I think netbsd tends to do single sector writes for directory entries
> and the journal - these will be somewhat suboptimal!
Oops?
I thought that anything to a file system would be written in units of the
file system's block size as the metadata cache was addressed in file system
blocks. Can someone please enlighten me?