tech-perform archive

Re: ISC DNS performance test

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 06:05:28PM -0400, Jim Wise wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2008, at 4:51 PM, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> >>Unless I'm mistaken, all OS versions used were from their
> >>respective release branches.
> >
> >You're mistaken:
> >
> >FreeBSD-7-CURRENT 200708     84,000
>
> Hmm.  I guess I'm not very up with FreeBSD's naming scheme -- isn't
> this the release branch for 7.x -- analagous to NetBSD 4-BETA, which
> was also tested, but distinct from FreeBSD-CURRENT?

I expect NetBSD-current would do better on this test than 4.0, although
there is still a lot we could do to improve the numbers on this particular
benchmark.

As far as I am aware an answering bind server communicates with the outside
world using a single UDP socket, which works somewhat in NetBSD's favour
given that our IP stack is single threaded at the moment.

Cheers,
Andrew