RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Can I autoconfigure both interfaces as slaac    (accept_ra 1) on a    non-router device?

Thank you Roy.

In my use case, the metric is the same on Linux.

So for ipv6 link-local scope traffic, since it needs the scope id, the kernel would use the corresponding route of the two?

# this one works for device on the same subnet with eth0

ping -c 1 fe80::b27b:25ff:fe0c:109e%eth0

1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms

# this one works for devices on the same subnet with eth1

ping -c 1 fe80::250:56ff:fe81:2938%eth1

1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms

# For ipv6 global scope traffic to device located on eth1 subnet also works

ping -c 1 fd01:12::250:56ff:fe81:2938

1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms

So it seems if there are two ipv6 routes (link-local scope), the kernel knows which one to use, even for global scope traffic and same metric?

If I use incorrect scope id, it fails, as expected.

As you mentioned, ipv6 implementation/design is different from ipv4.

Just don’t understand how the kernel knows which one to use.

I’ll check the icmpv6 RA message, specifically A flag, M flag, O flag with Wireshark.

The paragraph refers to stateless DHCP, my use case is slaac autoconfiguration.

Thanks,

Marinela