Re: Support for 240/4 and 0/8 addresses in NetBSD

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 16, 2023 at 11:10:13AM -0400, Mouse wrote:
> > Personally, I think that this whole excercise is a waste of time
> > (because "on the wild Internet", 240.* has no chance to realiably
> > work *to all destinations*, due to too many old routers being
> > somewhere in the path)
>
> Today?  Yes.
>
> Tomorrow?  Next year, even?  Yes.
>
> A decade from now?  Not so much.

I sincerely hope we overcome IPv4 by then...  running dual-stack is a
major pain, and it seems IPv6 is (now) here to stay.  So getting rid
of IPv4 should be the plan for the next 20 years, not "invest time
to make it last 6 months longer".

But this is a personal opinion, not something that should influence
NetBSD's decision.

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert%greenie.muc.de@localhost