Re: NPF and PF

On 12/16/20 12:27 AM, Gert Doering wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 10:40:46PM -0600, Hector wrote:
I would be glad to enumerate some of the shortcomings of NPF, in a
follow-up message, and why I consider it to be in some ways a regression
from PF, if anyone is interested.

I certainly am, especially which of the more advanced features of PF you
use.

(Now I am not a NetBSD developer, just an interested user)

gert

One pf feature I use is anchors. You can read about those in pf.conf(5) if you are not familiar with them. It is very useful to be able to make on-the-fly adjustments to part of the ruleset without disturbing any other parts.

As far as I can tell, npf has nothing like that.

I also have some tables which have thousands of subnet entries (sourced from the filesystem). pf handles these with no problems.

npfctl(8) says:
"Reloading the configuration is a relatively expensive operation."

Yes, it is, more expensive than you might guess.

Trying to load a npf ruleset with tables of thousands of entries takes _minutes_. In one case I had with tens of thousands of lpm table entries, 'npf reload' chewed for almost 20 minutes (!!), and then crashed, leaving the filter in an inoperable state.