Re: NPF and PF

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 13:26:12 +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 10:40:46PM -0600, Hector wrote:
>> My use cases depend on PF.  NPF is incapable of doing some things which
>> I currently do with PF.  If there are any plans or thoughts to remove PF
>> from NetBSD, I would be greatly concerned. In fact, I would like to see
>> PF be maintained so it is not considered "obsolete". I might be able
>> to work on this, if I were given some guidance.
>
> I think you are severely underestimating the amount of work updating PF
> involves. Yes, there are known shortcomings in NPF, but changes are
> extremely high that fixing them is at least an order of magnitude less
> work. That's not even including the work of keeping it up-to-date.

FreeBSD has forked pf a while back, and made it smp capable. I have
converted three NetBSD 7 routers @work to FreeBSD three years ago, and
they have been performant and stable ever since. If you need the
feature set of pf, but cannot stomach its creators, that would be the
way to go.

IMHO, the NetBSD packet filter supports SOHO installations at best;
anything else is misleading.

Cheerio,
Hauke

--