Re: ifconfig(8) - a tale of two states

On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 03:16:14AM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
> We claim that the media is active but the address is detached and there is no SSID!

This gets more complicated when authentication comes in (e.g. IEEE 802.1x).
Generally, there are two somewhat independent layers:
(1) The physical link is active and usable with certain settings.
(2) The logical link (for a network user) is active and usable.

The radio state belongs to (1), where as the post-association state
belongs to (2). I don't think we clearly separate those right now.

Joerg