Re: ARP Address Conflict Detection and dhcpcd arping

Hi Roy,

Roy Marples wrote:
On 14/10/2019 11:35, rudolf wrote:
Looking at the patch you've attached I guess the culprit is probably that due to the direct connect, the wm0 address is tentative at the moment of the arping (the link goes up and down several times before the arping) and thus not being defended?

Well, the culprit is the link going up and down.

dhcpcd ARPing is basically a DaD probe.
The NetBSD host is also performing DaD each time the link comes up and it correctly spots dhcpcd ARPing for it and marks it's address as duplicated.

OK, I see. Makes sense.

The only software fix would be to configure dhcpcd to unicast the ARP for the IP address to a specific MAC address that you would need to configure.
If this is acceptable, I can work on a patch for dhcpcd.

Let me know.

I am perfectly fine with the existing mechanisms in dhcpcd, now that I know what is happening and why. Thanks!

r.