Re: panic: UBSan: Undefined Behavior in /syzkaller/managers/netbsd-kubsan/kernel/sys/netinet6/scope6.c:LINE, member access w

On 20.09.2019 16:22, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 2:58 PM Kamil Rytarowski <n54%gmx.com@localhost> wrote:

>>> FWIW one of official way to fix this in C/C++ is to declare a properly
>>> aligned type (int) and copyout the data into it with memcpy. For x86
>>> compiler should understand that and eliminate the copy.
>>>

>> memcpy/memcmp is too invasive here as we need to change macros shared
>> with userland.
>>
>> Is the ifdefed __packed patch correct?
>>
>> http://netbsd.org/~kamil/patch-00151-ip6addr.txt
>

> This makes struct alignment 1, right?
> Can't it break some ABIs? What if the struct is included in some other
> struct and alignment 1 changes overall layout. Then usespace will pass
> padded, but kernel will assume unpadded layout. Is it possible?
>
> If we are out of good ideas, it can make sense to add some __noubsan's
> for very frequent and/or hard to address otherwise warnings. This will
> unstack finding the long tail of potentially more interesting
> warnings. And then these warnings can be addressed, and in parallel
> the __noubsan's can be fixed in better ways (if we come up with better
> ways, but now this won't be urgent because we put down the fires).

For the time being, I have marked it with __noubsan.

I think I know how to fix it. There is need to disable
__NO_STRICT_ALIGNMENT under UBSan.

http://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/joerg/GENERIC/src/src/sys/arch/amd64/include/types.h.html#_M/__NO_STRICT_ALIGNMENT

This will allow to use alternative code-paths, like here:

http://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/joerg/GENERIC/src/src/sys/netinet6/ip6_input.c.html#315

My patch:

http://netbsd.org/~kamil/patch-00152-__NO_STRICT_ALIGNMENT-disable-under-ubsan.txt

This needs proper testing whether it really helps (hopefully yes).

My GCC patch (still building):

http://netbsd.org/~kamil/patch-00153-gcc-lsan-ubsan-ifdef.txt

The LSAN change is related to Clang/LLVM:

https://reviews.llvm.org/D67719

We need LSAN for our userland applications for suppressing uninteresting
leaks.

I will try to upstream them both in one go. If the GCC patch will be
merged, I will commit patch 0152 and 0153 to src/.