Re: kernel frameworks for jumbo frame

On 11/03/2019 08:37, John Franklin wrote:
This is something I thought was solved *years ago* in the Linux world, and I don’t understand why udev/systemd had to break it.

udev has changed nameing scheme at least twice in my memory.
This is on top of any kernel changes in this area.

Splitting eth0 vs wifi0 makes sense to me, as the inherent nature of the devices are fundamentally different.

This actually makes little sense to me - as a developer.
I can tell wifi from ethernet by virtue of the SSID property being present via ifconfig.

What I struggle to tell, regardles of OS, is if a device is physical or virtual (such as PPP, TAP or TUN). On BSD, because the name cannot be changed, I can derive this. But a hard coded list of device names to special case is pretty bad really.

Roy