Re: Enabling SLAAC for IPv6 by default

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 07:25:13AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 01:09:24AM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
> > Just because a simple program and the simple in kernel RA handling works
> > fine for you does not mean it works fine for others.
>
> But if it works fine in some situations and a more complex setup is needed
> in general, there is no good reason to remove the simple solution.

I don't think "run rtsol(d)" is simpler than "run dhcpcd". The former
works at best only in a very static environment. It already fails to
work properly in the case of two network interfaces, i.e. a laptop. It
doesn't deal very well with prefix changes during runtime etc. I've been
there. It wasn't a satisfying experience. On the other hand, it is
fundamentally complexity in the kernel. If it only addresses a very
limited use case and doesn't work well beyond that, why should it be
kept in the kernel?

Joerg