Re: Time to retire some ancient network pseudo-interfaces?

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 10:06:12AM +0200, max%m00nbsd.net@localhost wrote:
> We could easily retire etherip. It has never been enabled (worse: the
> option was not even present and commented out before I added it a few
> months ago), the code is shitty, buggy (eg watch the man page) and not
> MP-safe.
>
> Above all, the EtherIP spec (RFC3378) actually recommends dropping
> EtherIP and using L2TP instead. We do have L2TP -- written by the
> Japanese guys, so it works, it's MP-safe and everything.

Does NetBSD has L2TPv3?  "Basic" L2TP won't give you "Ethernet-over-IP",
which is the point of, uh, etherip.

(Of course you can do etherip things with openvpn in tap mode, but for
many setups this is just far heavier than "I need to transport ethernet
frames, I do not need to care about encryption or authentication because
this all happens inside a closed environment" - which is where I've used
etherip in the past, bridge together VLANs across an "unwilling" internal
infrastructure)

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert%greenie.muc.de@localhost