Re: DHCP over WiFi issues on RPI

> On Apr 6, 2018, at 7:16 AM, Andy Ruhl <acruhl%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 6:57 AM, Ted Lemon <mellon%fugue.com@localhost> wrote:
>> It sounds like you're not successfully joining the WPA network.   I assume that if you just configure a static IP address, you get no joy?
>
> Nah, if he's watching the DHCP request from a 3rd party in the L2
> domain, that machine is connected at layer 2.

Correct, I am observing from a 3rd host, and seeing the Discover and Offer packets.  tcpdump running on the RPI itself sees **only** the Discover packets, not the Offer packets.

So, yes, it seems like it’s getting connected at L2 just fine.

I booted the RPI up just now to do the test Ted suggested that I should have done last night, but it was late and I was tired so it just slipped my mind.  But then lo and behold, it was able to get an address from the router this time.  *shrug*  We’re having a big rain storm today, so maybe it decided to cooperate just to cheer me up.

(Actually, my WiFi system does have some time-of-use restrictions on one of the virtual networks, although not the one I was connecting to, so I’ll try it again tonight at roughly the same time to see if there’s any correlation.)

> This might not be helpful, but does that machine happen to be one of
> the new pi 3 b+ models? I'm still on raspbian on mine and having
> hardware/network issues. All of my other pi models are solid.

No, this is a Pi B+ 1.2, plain basic ARMv6 variety, not even multi-core.

> My wired interface shows "NO CARRIER" after reboots sometimes even
> though there is green light on the port. Wifi is flaky as well.

USB WiFi dongle or the built-in on the RPI3?  (NetBSD doesn’t support the latter yet, IIRC… but you said you’re still on Raspbian…)

— thorpej