Re: Using NetBSD as a travel router

On 26/01/2018 23:01, D'Arcy Cain wrote:
On 01/25/2018 03:43 PM, D'Arcy Cain wrote:
Yah, I keep checking that one because it sure looks like that is the
issue.  Is there any way that forwarding could be disabled even with
that set?

OK, I got it working sort of.  When I looked at the packets going
through the wifi interface I saw this.

15:57:20.388862 IP 0.0.0.0 > vex.net: ICMP echo request, id 12998, seq
16, length 64

I had assumed that the 0.0.0.0 was a place holder for whatever IP
address was on the interface as supplied by DHCP but then I saw this in
the output of ifconfig as well as the correct address.

inet 0.0.0.0/8 broadcast 255.255.255.255 flags 0x0

As soon as I did "ifconfig athn0 -0.0.0.0" the packets started flowing.
So now the question is, how did that address get installed on the
interface.  It's great that I can make it work by running a simple
command but it would be nice if it came up properly in the first place.

dhclient puts it there when it first starts up.
See /sbin/dhclient-script PREINIT phase.

If you don't want to hack that script then use dhcpcd instead where there is no need to assign the unspecified address to the interface to get DHCP working.

Roy