Re: nfs kernel booting is slow

> On 20/11/2017, at 1:58 PM, Michael van Elst <mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost> wrote:
>
> scole_mail%gmx.com@localhost (scole_mail) writes:
>
> Both seem to be slow, look at the time stamps and repeated requests (same xid).
> Sure that one is a dump from a 'working' setup?

I agree with Michael that the dump from the “working” setup doesn’t look healthy at all.

I have seen similar problems relating to NFS and a lack of flow control before (as paul mentioned), but these read requests all fit inside a single ethernet frame, so you shouldn’t need any flow control. You are only ever waiting for one packet and you really shouldn’t need flow control.

One thing I have seen is horrifyingly slow network interfaces speaking 10base-T. I had to rate limit traffic to a SAN switch’s 10base-T management port because it simply couldn’t handle traffic coming in at 10Mb/s and firmware updates via FTP were timing out. Maybe the powermac is half-duplex (which is reasonable for 10base-T) and it can’t switch from transmit to receive fast enough to read the reply properly (which is me being super speculative). Try setting your NFS server’s network link to a slower speed, such as 10base-T just to see if that helps.

Cheers,
Lloyd