Re: Detached address check

On Fri, November 17, 2017 4:57 pm, Robert Swindells wrote:
> I feel that the changes made to check whether a sending address is valid
> are too strict.
>
> The check means that an attempt to connect from the address of an
> interface that is marked detached to the same address will fail even
> though there is still a route for this address to the loopback device.
>
> The change was introduced in:
>
> <http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2016/09/15/msg077726.html>

To clarify, I expect to be able to do:

# ifconfig wm0 inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00 up
# ping 192.168.0.1

and for it to work every time, not just when wm0 has detected a
carrier. In the traditional usage, the packets don't go through wm0
anyway they go through lo0.

The RFC 4862 referenced in the commit is for IPv6, I don't think that
IPv4 behaviour should change too.

I'm not even convinced that I want this behaviour for IPv6, I would
prefer that addresses set using ifconfig(8) should stay valid until
I change them.

Robert Swindells