Re: Adding ifam_pid to ifa_msghdr

On 31/08/2016 07:02, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <3585331.9LpqSETiX3%uberpc.marples.name@localhost>,
> Roy Marples  <roy%marples.name@localhost> wrote:
>> Hi List!
>>
>> Unlike rtm_msghdr, ifam_msghdr has no idea of the identity of the process who
>> added or deleted an address.
>>
>> This is important for processes which add/delete addresses while listening for
>> 3rd parties to add/delete addresses as well, so self generated messages can be
>> ignored.
>>
>> Here is a simple patch which adds ifam_pid to ifa_msghdr so the identity of
>> the sender is known.
>> http://www.netbsd.org/~roy/ifam_pid.patch
>>
>> Unless anyone objects, I will add this soon.
>
> If only it was that simple... See sys/compat/net/if.h how to do it properly.

OK, I have a new patch for this here:
http://www.netbsd.org/~roy/ifam_pid_addrflags.patch

I took the liberty of adding ifam_addrflags while here, so that it can
be added to getifaddrs(3) and both save an extra ioctl per address for
programs like dhcpcd, which also decreases it's binary size.
http://www.netbsd.org/~roy/ifaddrs_addrflags.patch

Comments welcome.

Roy