Re: nmbclusters on amd64

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 01:54:19PM +0100, Stephen Borrill wrote:
Machine in question has 16GB RAM and is running amd64. Reading further, it
looks like setting NMBCLUSTERS in netbsd-7 as a compile-time option is only
capable of limiting the number which is generally counterproductive:

Looking at one of my build VMs running 7.0 with 16GB, auto-scaling
gives:
kern.mbuf.nmbclusters = 524274

#ifdef NMBCLUSTERS_MAX
        max_size = MIN(max_size, NMBCLUSTERS_MAX);
#endif

#ifdef NMBCLUSTERS
        return MIN(max_size, NMBCLUSTERS);
#else
        return max_size;
#endif

Perhaps this should have been MAX(max_size, NMBCLUSTERS) which makes more
sense to me.

No, the intention is to compute the limit of what the system ressources
can sustain and cap at that.

I get that, but setting NMBCLUSTERS now limits nmbclusters to some number below the computed limit. With -5 and earlier it raised it from a low limit (1024 if GATEWAY was set) and so it was pretty much required for any sensible work. I guess the take-home message is now "NMBCLUSTERS is bad, do not use it".

--
Stephen