Re: TCP connections clogging up accf_http(9) (was: ESTABLISHED sockets with no fd open?

On 5/19/2016 9:52 PM, Timo Buhrmester wrote:

Therefore, shouldn't there be (or am I just not seeing it?) sort of
a timeout that disposes of connections that have been sitting in the
accept filter for longer than $timespan?  Currently, we have to restart
lighttpd every so many days to cope with the slow but steady "leakage"
of connections...

if getsockopt(2) SO_KEEPALIVE is set for the peer socket then yes.

tcp(4) provides more detail and timers can be configured via sysctl(8)
net.inet.tcp.keep* .

If I recall (system dependent default) the period before such a connection will be timed out is very long (hours).

I'd normally expect the application to implement more meaningful timeout mechanisms given what it is doing/waiting for. I'd definitely expect it to be tuned for ~seconds rather than hours.

rtr