Re: Generating IPv6 EUI64 based addresses

    Date:        Sun, 08 May 2016 12:02:44 +0100
    From:        Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost>

  | dhcpcd --slaac hwaddr

Thanks that arrived just in time ... I was just looking at what to config

I saw in dhcpcd.conf that it says that everything is suppord to be possible
on the command line, but it doesn't say how to achieve that.

I was looking at the options listed in dhcpcd(1) and couldn't find anything
there either, so...

  | The problem I have is that most dhcpcd.conf options works on the
  | commandline and most commandline options also work in dhcpcd.conf.
  | However, this is not 100% the case and have yet to work out how I can
  | easily manage this in two man pages without over duplication.
  |
  | Ideas are welcome :)

Just (somewhere before the huge list of options, in dhcpcd(1)) say
something like:

	In addition to the options listed here, any of the configuration
	options listed in dhcpcd.conf(5) (except where otherwise noted)
	can be given by preceding the	option name with '--'.

And maybe give an example of that.   Then for any options where that
won't work, just say so (in dhcpcd.conf(5)).

And if the rest of the command line options in dhcpcd(1) also work
in /etc/dhcpcd.conf say something similar in dhcpcd.conf(5) about them,
including just how to put one of those options in /etc/dhcpcd.conf
(and again, perhaps with an example).

Then just list the options (aside from in examples) once each, in the
place where it is most likely that they will want to be used (which may
be as you have them divided up now.)

  | You could just preserve dhcpcd.secret as well to keep the same private
  | addresses If you wanted to have that feature or not.

No, not particularly interested in private addresses, and particularly not
for this system which will never talk to anything except its host Dom0
(which is also its NFS server.)

I still don't know what that /128 address is though - and that's the one
that seems to be used (longest prefix probably) for connections initiated
from the system - and that one does not seem to be affected by the
--slaac hwaddr option.    How do I make it simply go away? (I don't have
/128 addresses on any of my other systems, most of which don't run any
form of dhcp client, but have fully statically configured addresses.)

By "go away" - I mean not get created in the first place, I understand how
to "ifconfig inet6 ... -alias" to delete it (but don't know if dhcpcd would
eventually just put it back again.)

Thanks,

kre