Re: vether(4)

On 20/04/2016 22:38, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
>    Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 21:59:32 +0100
>    From: Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost>
>
>    Attached is a patch which ports the OpenBSD vether(4) driver to NetBSD.
>    It seems to function well as an endpoint to a bridge(4) interface and is
>    a lot simpler than tap(4).
>
> What does vether(4) do that tap(4) doesn't?

By itself, nothing which is why I added this to the original email:

Would also welcome some discussion on extending vether(4) to allow it to
be paired (like a crossover cable) to another vether or to just import
pair(4) (again from OpenBSD). The argument for extending vether is that
both code bases are very similar.

I'm hopeful that paired vether will allow me to run a DHCP server on one
vether and a DHCP client on another and they talk to each other, as they
don't over a bridge using either vether or tap(4).

Rpy