Re: Simplify bridge(4)

On Feb 10,  6:56pm, Ryota Ozaki wrote:
}
} Thanks to introducing softint-based if_input,
} we can simplify bridge(4).
}
} - Remove spin mutexes
}   - They were needed because some code of bridge could run in
}     hardware interrupt context
}   - We now need only an adaptive mutex for each shared object
}     (a member list and a forwarding table)
} - Remove pktqueue
}   - bridge_input is already in softint, using another softint
}     (for bridge_forward) is useless
}   - Packet distribution should be down at device drivers
}
} As expected, forwarding performance improves slightly
} because of stopping using the second softint.
}
} Here is a patch:
} http://www.netbsd.org/~ozaki-r/simplify-bridge.diff
}
} Any comments or suggestions?

     Not a direct comment, but just wondering if we are going to
see vether(4) anytime soon.  This would simplify the administration
and possibly the code of bridge(4) in that bridge(4) would become
strictly transit and not have to worry about acting as both transit
and endpoint.

}-- End of excerpt from Ryota Ozaki