Re: RFC: softint-based if_input

   Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 19:18:44 +0900
   From: Ryota Ozaki <ozaki-r%netbsd.org@localhost>

   On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Ryota Ozaki <ozaki-r%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
   > On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 11:58 PM, Taylor R Campbell
   > <campbell+netbsd-tech-kern%mumble.net@localhost> wrote:
   > So I think it's better to adopt two approaches:
   > - Add if_percpuq to ifnet and let drivers use it by default (via if_attach)
   > - Provide a new API that you propose, and let drivers that are ready
   >   for softint use it (we use if_initialize instead)
   > - Change drivers to use the new API one by one (it would take long time)
   > - Once we migrate all drivers, then remove if_percpuq from ifnet
   >   (I'm assuming if_percpuq is in ifdef _KERNEL and removable)
   >
   > Does this approach satisfy you (or not)?

   http://www.netbsd.org/~ozaki-r/softint-if_input-percpuq.diff

   This is a patch that uses if_percpuq. There is no actual
   user of it yet. I'm trying to apply it to wm.

That looks more or less fine.  A couple correctness notes:

- if_percpu_enqueue: I think you should do splnet, in case some driver
might call it at different IPLs -- like bcmeth(4) which may do it from
thread context or from softint context.

- if_percpuq_purge_ifq: You may need to disestablish the softint
before touching remote CPUs' queues; otherwise softints might still be
in flight.

I would have put creation of the if_percpuq in a separate routine so
that you don't have to change callers whose behaviour is not changing;
rather you only have to change callers that positively want to use
if_percpuq.  I might add another field to if_percpuq which is an extra
argument to pass, so that the callback function can take both the ifq
and an extra argument, as I described in my last message.