Re: Dealing with ICMPv6 network unreachable.

Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost> writes:

> It claims it's a IPv6 router with the address fe80::1 but with no
> prefix information.

Do you mean it is sending RAs?   That seems odd.   I wonder if we should
be rejecting them, but we'd have to read the specs.

> Interestingly enough it is serving DNS and DHCP on v6 as well.

Can you explain more precisely?

> Anyway, the problem is that because it's added a default route, various
> programs will try IPv6 first. For each address tried, the router issues
> an ICMPv6 unreachable message of code 0. This is displayed with ping -v
> as well, so it is hitting userland. However, applications are ignoring
> it. My simple test case is wget (available in pkgsrc).

Three thoughts about what might be going on:

  I am unclear on codes in ICMPv6; it could be that 0 is irregular and
  getting filtered out by us, even though maybe it shouldn't be.

  It seems that the proper response of TCP to net/host unreachable is
  arguable.  In the case you mention, it's best to abort, but a
  transient unreachable situation on a TCP connection shouldn't kill the
  connection.

  It strikes me as odd that without a public address TCP is being tried.
  Does your interface have any global addresses, or just the LL one?
  If the router is handing out global addresses which don't work, it's a
  much harder question about doing per-protocol black-hole detection
  (leading down the path to happy eyeballs).