host route out of subnet

Hi List

I am working on an issue with managing a host route to a host outside of
the defined subnet.
We have a wiki on it here:
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/network/#nonsubnetgateway

 # ifconfig fxp0 inet 10.0.0.1
 # route add -host 192.168.0.1 -link fxp0 -iface
 # route add default -ifa 10.0.0.1 192.168.0.1

On -current at least, this fails.
netstat and route report the gateway as being an ethernet address made
from the letters fxp0 which also looks odd but seems to be a failing of
link_addr(3) or the way route and netstat display it.

On the other hand this works instead:

 # ifconfig fxp0 inet 10.0.0.1
 # route add -net 192.168.0.1/32 -link fxp0 -iface -cloning
 # route add default -ifa 10.0.0.1 192.168.0.1

I have had a very unsatisfactory ad-hoc chat with a few people, so I'm
bring this here.

1) Is the route add -host command above expected to work as described in
the wiki? If so a simple fix is not to use link_addr(3) and instead set
sdl->sdl_index to the interface index. This makes it then work.
However, the kernel then displays an advisory of arpresolve: unresolved
and rt_expire == 0 so it might just be working by accident rather than
design.

2) Is this a problem with link_addr(3) or how it's being used?

3) Is the route add -net command a better way of describing the host
route being off the subnet net but on the link and we should update the
wiki?

Thanks

Roy