127.0.0.1 deprecated??

I just now had occasion to look at lo(4), for the first time in I don't
know how long.

All three versions I have on hand - 1.4T, 4.0.1, and 5.2 - have a BUGS
section saying

BUGS
     Previous versions of the system enabled the loopback interface automati-
     cally, using a nonstandard Internet address (127.1).  Use of that address
     is now discouraged; a reserved host address for the local network should
     be used instead.

This is the first I've heard of 127.1, a very old syntax for 127.0.0.1,
being nonstandard for loopback use or of its being deprecated, and,
indeed, the startup scripts for each of those three versions are
hardwired to bring lo0 up as 127.0.0.1.

Anyone have any idea what's behind that paragraph?

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign