Re: Route lookup library

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 09:13:37AM -0700, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2014, Dennis Ferguson wrote:
> >I have a library implementing a longest match prefix
> >lookup (i.e. a route lookup) which might be useful
> [...]
> >   http://www.netbsd.org/~dennis/rttree.tar.gz
>
> I haven't looked at the code, but it sounds very useful.

I got as far as wrapping a reachover infrastructure around this.
Pretty damn impressed -- WARNS=5 clean (WARNS=6 involves way too much
casting for minimum, if any benefit, to be worthwhile), and only
change necessary on -current was to the man pages.  I can paste them
here, but Thomas's scripts can do a way better job than I ever could.

> >In any case, this is part of a larger library of lockless-reader
> >data structure code and other bits which provide a sufficient base
> >to construct a basic network stack which can move packets from
> >input to output interface, or input interface to demultiplexed
> >transport session, without locking around the shared data.  I'm
> >trying to organize the rest of it so that I can donate it all, but
> >everything is more or less implemented in the "style" of the
> >above (e.g. builds into the kernel or a user space library
> >unchanged, often provides separate "volatile" and "non-volatile"
> >reader functions, ...?) and I was interested in seeing if anyone
> >found bits of this objectionable.
>
> I like those features.

I agree -- I'd love to see this in-tree. You've obviously tested this
out pretty thoroughly, so are there any programs we could use to do
that ourselves, and to put into atf tests?

Thanks,
Alistair