Re: axe(4) woes

Hi John

On 15/11/2013 21:38, John Klos wrote:
As a metric, does anyone have a working axe(4)?

I've seen a number of problems with both axe and other cheap
USB-ethernet adapters. On ones which work, performance is definitely
an issue on some (some can barely do a couple hundred kilobytes a
second, and a gigabit one only does about 40 Mbps). On the other hand,
I use Apple axe USB-ethernet adapters in a few places (Seagate
Dockstar, Raspberry Pi) which run at 60+ Mbps (which is the fastest
the Internet connection goes).

axe0 at uhub1 port 3
axe0: Apple Computer Apple USB to Ethernet, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 4
axe0: Ethernet address 00:1f:5b:fe:c0:ec
ukphy0 at axe0 phy 16: OUI 0x007063, model 0x0006, rev. 1
ukphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

Perhaps some phy improvements from FreeBSD will help, but there's
always the possibility that yours is just really cheap and buggy or
broken.

I posted a patch in this thread, which added support for many more PHY interfaces on the axe by using better GPIO programming.
The patch was based on some FreeBSD work on the same driver :)

So my axe is now running as best as can be.
For reference I have two of them on an AMD64 very recent -current which are my inputs for wired and wireless lan. The internal network card is jacked into my modem because it seems running PPPoE frames over it can cause lockups.
So using two axes I now have good network seggregation :)

Thanks

Roy