On 4 Aug 2013, at 12:12, Mindaugas Rasiukevicius <>

> Hello,
> I would like propose new BPF instructions for the misc category: BPF_COP
> and BPF_COPX.  It would provide a capability of calling an external
> function - think of BPF "coprocessor".  The argument for BPF_COP is an
> index to a pre-loaded array of function pointers.  BPF_COPX takes the
> function index from the register X rather than a constant.
>       BPF_STMT(BPF_MISC+BPF_COP, 0), /* A <- funcs[0](...) */
>       typedef uint32_t(*bpf_copfunc_t)(struct mbuf *pkt,
>           uint32_t A, uint32_t *M);
>       int bpf_set_cop(bpf_ctx_t *c, bpf_copfunc_t funcs[], size_t n);
> The arguments passed to a called function would be the packet, accumulator
> and the memory store.  The return value would be stored in the accumulator
> and the register X would be reset to 0.  Note that the function may also
> change the memory store.  If the function index is out of range, then the
> register X would be set to 0xffffffff.
> Note that bpf_filter(9) would need to take some context structure (which is
> preferable in general).
> Comments?

Why do you need this in the first place?
Are you sure this is a safe design? Adding this functionality to BPF makes me a
little nervous as an error in the implementation leads to kernel code execution
(I could be able to call random kernel functions).

Rui Paulo