Re: CVS import: src/external/bsd/dhcpcd/dist

As dyoung said, lets move this bikeshed to tech-net@

On 23/07/2013 8:09, David Laight wrote:
On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 06:35:47PM +0200, Marc Balmer wrote:
Am 20.07.13 18:44, schrieb Roy Marples:
> David Holland <dholland-sourcechanges%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:
>> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 07:15:52PM -0700, Erik Fair wrote:
>>  > > * dhcpcd will now assign a short hostname by default
>>  > >  To use a FQDN hostname, set this in dhcpcd.conf(5)
>>  > >  env hostname_fqdn=YES
>>  >
>>  > This is the wrong default, too - hostname should always be FQDN.
>>
>> This is far from universally agreed upon.
>>
>> However, ISTM that if dhcpcd is going to set the hostname at all
>> (which is usually wrong) it should set the hostname the dhcp server
>> provides and not try to munge it.
>
> Which hostname should dhcpcd set?

You can read the rest of my snipped comment directly above here
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes-d/2013/07/20/msg005999.html

TLDR: I justify the use of a short hostname with what I think are sound technical reasons.

imo, dhcpcd should not set a hostname at all, at least not by default.

Maybe it should only set it if no other hostname has been set?

Maybe you should at least read the first paragraph of dhcpcd(8) before commenting?

Roy