Re: refactoring ip_output() and the L2 _output()

>> I'd like ether_output never, ever to deal with the routing table,
>> but arpresolve() deals some in routes,

IMO this is a misfeature - borderline bug - and is responsible for at
least one other botch.  Back in early March 2012, I went looking to see
if I could eliminate sin_zero.  This turned out to be "impossible"
(really meaning "way more work than it was worth to me"), and the
reason was exactly this: because of the way the ARP code (ab)uses the
routing table.  I think I wrote up my conclusions and sent them to the
list...yeah, at least for other values of "the list": I sent my note to
tech-kern.
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2012/03/06/msg012854.html is
(the archived copy of) my report to the list.

Arranging for ARP entries to have nothing to do with the (IPv4) routing
table would be an excellent move, IMO.

\ / Ribbon Campaign