Re: half-/full-duplex ethernet and ifconfig

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 05:17:22PM -0800, Matt Thomas wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2012, at 3:07 PM, David Laight wrote:
>
> > The MAC hardware didn't need to know whether the speed was 10M or 100M
> > the data just got clocked through the fifos faster.
>
> That is untrue.  Most MACs have to be told the negotiated speed.

The specific MAC I was using (I think that one was a pcmcia card)
definitely didn't need to know, neither did the 10/100 forms of
the amd lance, nor the sun sbus FEPs (hme?).
Although the latter would receive it's own traffic an 10M, but not 100M.
They all needed to know about FDX.

Of course, none of those are Ge - and Ge might need different MAC
timers.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost