Re: Specifying names for tap interfaces

Darren Reed wrote:
On 5/07/2012 5:34 AM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 06:34:36PM +0100, Roger Pau Monne wrote:
if I did read it properly, there's no way to know the driver and unit number
once the name has been changed ?
Yes it is, drvctl -p<new_name>, will print the driver and unit number.
OK, I see.

Also, there is a change to bpf that looks unrelated. As it changes the
semantic, this should at last be documented.
The change to bpf is explained in the email. It is changed to accept
interfaces not ending in a number, so you can use for example
foo2bar as an interface name.
Dareen pointed out that such name would cause problems with various tools.
I guess bpf is not the only place that needs to be fixed.

It is far better to accept "<name><number>" as a naming
constraint than to try and "fix" all of the code that in
one way or another expects it to be like that.

So far I haven't found any problem with removing this constrain in bpf, ifconfig, route, netstat, dhcp and ipf seem to be ok with that. Do you know of code which might expect interfaces to follow the <name><number> convention?

Thanks, Roger.