Re: Specifying names for tap interfaces

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 04:09:06PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > Linux's method associates names by driver type (eth0, eth1, etc).
>
> Yes, and it's also associated with the hardware. On a system with a
> add-on PCI ethernet called eth0, if you remplace it by another PCI ethernet
> (even if it's the same model, as the name is actually attached to the
> ethernet address) it'll be called eth1. You have to edit sysconfig files
> to have it named eth0 again.

That's udev, and it's considered a feature that the system remembers
the MAC address of ethernet cards, so if you have a system with multiple
ethernet cards and change "something in the hardware" (like: remove
card #1) the ethX numbers do not change.

Of course things break if you replace a card and do not update the
(userland) rule file that maps "mac address $foo to eth$bar".

Not perfect either, but done with a reason - and since it's all userland,
can be adjusted to whatever makes sense.  I think you could even have
Linux name all Intel Pro/100 cards fxp0, fxp1, fxp2, ... :-)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany
gert%greenie.muc.de@localhost