Re: Specifying names for tap interfaces

Darren Reed wrote:
On 19/06/2012 1:51 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
   Anything that we can control, like tap-%domid.%devid would be good
   though. It doesn't have to follow any specific nomenclature, but it
   will be good to be able to specify two integers, one that corresponds
   to the domain id, and another one that identifies the specific network
   card inside that domain.

So there's no need to change the /dev/tapN, or the device number, but
just the name of the interface.   As far as I know that's just a string
in the struct ifnet, and it's compared when one searches by name, so it
should be changeable.  I had thought setting the interface name would
change more and be more intrusive, but maybe it's not so bad.
(It does make sense to require it to start with 'tap' to avoid
collisions.)

It seems easy enough to add the ioctl and see if things blow up...

This should be done differently.

Rather than just change the name of the interface, create a layer
that maps a real device name to a network interface name.

Otherwise if you rename "tap0" to "bge3", how do you easily
determine that "bge3" is actually a tap device and not a bge?

I would like to add this functionality to the kernel, but can someone provide a little bit more of technical information/steps about how to do it?

Thanks, Roger.